Sunday, April 24, 2011

WHY~? (No, not TVXQ's single)

LOL it's kinda funny and kinda sad at the same time...

I received two messages on FB today from random people I don't even know, wondering why I left AFF. One of them made me laugh, because they were telling me they had been plagiarized and that they came looking for me on FB because my account on Asianfanfics was deactivated and they had no other way to reach me. Let's marvel at the genius here for a second. Okay, done marveling. Another person sent me a message, telling me to check my private messages on my deactivated account because they were wondering why I left. Again, marvel at the intelligence here.

Since I figure a lot of people are wondering why I left, I will tell you why: I got tired of a lot of things, and left without a single heads-up to anyone that matters, mostly because I knew I'd get talked into staying longer, and at this point I feel like staying would have killed my spirit. A single individual did not force me to leave, and neither did one event. If things were better, and the general user population not so...them, then maybe I would have stayed. I hope no one thinks bad of me, just because I left. I loved Asianfanfics, I loved the stories on there, and I loved a lot of people who bothered to befriend me and get to know me. I won't go around and "defame" the site anywhere because honestly, it's one of the best goddamn sites for fanfiction around. Nichiren has done a wonderful job with the layout and many features it offers, so I have to applaud him for that.

Another reason (not as big, and a lot more...petty) is...well...hmm...how to word this...I felt severely under-appreciated. Yeah, it just sounds petty. But it's true. I sometimes went out of my way to patch up issues and fix things, relatively big things...and not one person seemed to be thankful for what I had done. Quite a few people remain on that site because I interceded when it seemed like banning was the only option left; some were/are even moderators. I didn't want anyone to get banned because I felt like everyone deserved a second chance, but...no one ever took the time to tell me they appreciated all that I was doing and had done in order to keep people--friends and enemies alike--on the site.

Say what you will about me, but one of the rare moments I received thanks was when I spoke to the admin. Needless to say, his words almost always soothed my conscience, but after a while...that stopped working, obviously.

Now, the second question: will I go back?

And the answer: I don't know.

Really, I don't. I can say I won't be back anytime soon. Finals are coming up, so I have those to concentrate on, and then I'll be out of the country for a month. Once I get back, we'll be off to Dallas, and that's a few weeks long. After that, South Padre. After that, school shall be starting already. I have enough time to focus on posting updates of The Hunter and maybe reposting/editing A Place Called Home. Not enough time to consider if I wanna deal with the drama that never seems to leave that place.

If I do go back on, I won't tell anybody, and I'll just be reading and commenting on stories. I won't bother with users unless I know them and they're also not shoving their writing superiority into my face, because I don't care how good you may think you are, or how good others may think you are. If your attitude and respect towards other authors is something that resembles a rich man sneering at his poor neighbor Lazarus, the odds of me reading you drop significantly. I may have my flashes of arrogance, but I've never been able to stand people who believe they are superior because they have flawless grammar and "original" storylines.

On a lighter note, I feel like putting up writing advice on here. My own little tips and whatnot. They work for me, they might work for you or they might not. But hey, a blog's a blog. Might as well slap random crap onto it, and random is what I do best :)

~Andi~

1 comment: